Monday, June 7, 2010

e-Learning in Review

We have come to the end of the course, and it has been interesting, educational, challenging and inspiring. For the first time I have used a learning management system (moodle) and created a blog, both seemed daunting at the beginning of the course. Moodle was easy to use, a resource storage and retrieval system, is how I viewed it. I subscribed to all the forums so the discussions arrived in my email box, I and didn’t have to do anything, they all just arrived. The system was easy to navigate, I could find all the information I needed easily and I could access the information anytime.


The blog has proved more challenging for me. I have been writing bits of blog posts as the course progressed, but didn’t feel confident enough to post much until the last minute. The pressure of a deadline seemed to have reduced my fear of going public. One of the biggest frustrations I have encountered has been trying to include gadgets on my blog – and all to no avail. I really wanted to use wordle, but cannot work out how to get it onto my blog. It is very frustrating, and after many hours of trying (literally) I have still not succeeded. I have managed to include some very annoying fish – not the same!

I have found this course very challenging – not just the blogging, but it has challenged my beliefs about e-learning. From a teachers point of view, I believed that e-learning was the answer to lack of time and resources, technology could provide all the solutions! However I now feel much more cautious, time and resources are crucial to the implementation of any e-learning project, if we want success. I think as teachers we need to be mindful of the practice of teaching, the pedagogy we are using, and have confidence in our teaching skills which are vital in e-learning. However, sometimes the ‘razzle dazzle’ of new technology seems get between the teachers and the students learning. It seems to me that the practice of teaching does not change much with e-learning, and the teaching and learning cycle is still very important.

In this economic environment where education needs to be evidence based, technology is a great assistant for gathering information on student performance and participation. But that is not all it is good for. Technology is revolutionizing distance education, providing educational opportunities to people in remote and rural places, and to sectors of society with low participation rates. John Hattie’s (2009) meta analysis study shows us that teaching using technology is effective when more than one teaching strategy is used and when students have some control over their own learning. Feedback, too is an important element, which potentially can be provided via technology, is valuable for learning, as are opportunities for students to engage in peer learning. Many of these factors are included in e-learning opportunities.

I feel that I still have a lot to learn, and it is a shame that our course is so short, maybe it should be two semesters, there is more than enough material. I do however feel a bit better prepared to engage in the e-learning debate at work, thanks to Tony, and the class.

References

Hattie, J. (2009). Visible learning a synthesis of over 800 meta-analyses relating to achievement London, New York: Routledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment